Data on the climate data factory are derived from the original model data available on the official IPCC data portal (ESGF). These data are processed through advanced peer-reviewed methods to make them Read Ready to use for impact studies. A summary of the processing is presented in this article ; for more details, download the full technical report available on researchgate.
Short description of the processing chain
- Original data: searching and downloading original model data from the ESGF archive
- Input quality control: checking integrity of original data
- Remapping : interpolating data on a common grid
- Bias-adjustment: adjusting variables to observations for synoptic biases
- Standardization: rewriting files according to climate community’ standards
- Output quality control: checking bias-adjusted variables and metadata
- File merging: linking together the multiple 10 years data files into a unique 150 years set
- Spatial extraction: producing country and city level data sets instead of global ones
Figure 1. Summary of the data processing chain
The table below summarizes what the climate data factory provides compared with ESGF.
To learn more about our transparent processing chain, read "The data processing":